Thursday, August 7, 2008

dinner dinner dinner

I love to cook.
I really hate the process of deciding what to cook. It drives me mad.
So I have taken up cooking in regions.
Currently I am swimming in the Mediterranean Sea....
I love to cook.....
But there are still problems
The kitchen is SO SMALL, and we only have electric....so I have a small camp gas ring...electic pan, electric fan forced oven flat grill, rice cooker slow cooker and microwave. I have devised a system of shelves that I have put up, and I top the sinks with boards and just go for it....
Add to that that I sometimes have trouble bending, so I tend to put things just below waist level, and the bottom shelves are sort of dregs of kitchen society!

Cooking is a bit of an emotional experience for me. I love love love cooking. I just wish I could pass this love onto the kids....they see it as a bit of chore.

Night before last I made a Neapolitan fettuccine. I usually make my own pasta. I mix the dough in the bread maker, and my daughter and I roll the pasta through the machine. It is a family moment. LOL

Last night I made moussaka, egg plant, meat sauce, béchamel sauce. It is a good meal, and the newer egg plants are easier to prepare, but I sliced them lengthwise, so the fussy eaters were having a hard time with them. It was really really nice.

Tonight I made Yiros.

The shop is being revamped so they don't have all the normal things....so I found chick peas. but couldn't find tahini, so I roasted some sesame seeds, and put them through a blender....good lord I think I have gone mad. I made Tzatiski, and had slow cooked lamb steaks in Cinnamon, bay leaves, rosemary, garlic peppers....I had to get the MOTH (Man of the house) who was at a talkfest in Darwin, to pick up some lebanese bread....He rings me from the supermarket "they don't have it" "NO NO, " says I "go three ailse to the left and there they are" "are not" says he, walking the directions I gave him... "Huh" says he, "greek bread..." hmmm I either spend too much time shopping or I am psychic....

I am going to have to have left overs tomorrow night....

No comments: